CE 9405 RAILWAYS AND AIRPORTS ENGINEERING L T P C
3 0 0 3
To introduce the students about the various types of transport like Railways and airways,
planning and design principles of construction of railway track and airport terminals will be
covered with an exposure on standards
UNIT I RAILWAY PLANNING AND CONSTRUCTION 9
Route alignment surveys, modern methods – Elements of permanent way – Rails, sleepers,
ballast, rail fixtures and fastenings, coning of wheels, creep in rails, defects in rails –
Geometric design of railway track, gradient, super elevation, widening of guage on curves
UNIT II RAILWAY STATION YARDS AND OPERATIONS 9
Planning and development of railway station yards, –Turnouts, points and crossings –
Signalling - Interlocking, track circuiting – Modern developments in railways, urban railways,
underground and tube railways–Basic planning for MRTS and Suburban railways–Electric
UNIT III RAILWAY CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE 9
Earthwork – Stabilization of track on poor soil- Tunneling - Methods, drainage and ventilation
– Construction and maintenance of tracks – uniguage – Maintenance of rolling stocks and
UNIT IV AIRPORT PLANNING 9
Airport site selection – Components of airports- Forecasting in aviation- Airport obstructions –
Zoning laws - Regional planning - Airport architecture - Airport lighting - Air traffic control aids
UNIT V AIRPORT DESIGN 9
Runway orientation – Basic runway length – Corrections to basic runway length – geometric
design of runways – Layout of taxiway and terminal area- airport pavement design (flexible
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Saxena Subhash, C. and Satyapal Arora, A Course in Railway Engineering, Dhanpat Rai
and Sons, Delhi, 1998.
2. Khanna.S.K. Arora.M.G and Jain.S.S, Airport Planning and Design, Nemachand and
Brothers, Roorkee, 1994.
1. Vazirani.V.N. and Chandola.S.P., Transportation Engineering-Vol.1, Khanna Technical
Publications, New Delhi, 1991.
2. Shahini.P., Airport Technique, New Delhi
3. Priyani.V.B., Highway and Airport Engineering, Charotar Book Stall, 1994.
4. Rangwala.P.S, Railway Engineering, Charotar Publishing House, 1995.
5. Rangwala.P.S, Airport Engineering, Charotar Publishing House, 1996.
6. Agarwal.M.M., Indian Railway Track, New Delhi